Wensley, from which the dale takes its name, was the principal market town until
plague struck the village in 1563. Many of the survivors fled to nearby Leyburn which
overtook Wensley in importance. Today the population of Leyburn is around 2,200.
The Shawl is a terraced walk above the town which overlooks Wensleydale. It takes
its name from the legend that Mary, Queen of Scots, having escaped captivity in nearby
Bolton Castle, dropped her shawl en route to Leyburn.
Constable Burton Hall Gardens. A Palladian villa designed by architect John Carr
in 1768. The Hall stands in extensive woodland and formal gardens, and is well worth